The missing side cover just arrived from the US, still in its original wrapping! Combined with new checkerflag and 125 emblems and it’s good to go. Now the bike is truly complete, every last painted part is original and all the chrome except the exhaust pipes are original chrome. Expect a new gallery soon!
With a final effort the bike is restored!
The only thing missing is the kick and that is on its way. The seat on the bike is one of our replica seats, original seats are near impossible to get a hold of and the few that remain deteriorate quickly.
It is as near completion as is possible so we”re counting this project as complete, expect a thorough gallery soon!
Things are really starting to shape up. We got the engine in place and hooked up and most of the electricals wired neatly behind the headlight.
We got the engine from Yamaha Center earlier this week, everything has been balanced, tuned and worn components exchanged for brand new spares. Our friend Tommy helped is with the polish to make it look just right!
Unfortunately it wasn’t all smooth sailing. We hit a snag with the pistons: because the pistons are oversized (2nd oversize, 43.50 diameter) the piston rings were more springy than usual. It was close to impossible to get the cylinders on with the pistons on the connecting rods so we decided to remove the pistons and insert them into the cylinders before re-attaching them to the connecting rods. It worked great until we came to the circlip to hold the pin to the connecting rod in place for the last piston, it decided to shoot away from the pliers into the great unknown. We searched everywhere for that clip to no avail until I through a pure stroke of luck looked into the cylinder only to see it lying on top of the piston just millimeters away from falling into the engine! If it had gone in we would have had to break the engine apart again but all is well that ends well.
We also got the generator in place and connected to the wiring, we even checked that the side cover fit so as to avoid surprises further on.
For the first time in 40 years fuel tank sees the light of day. He thinks to himself: damn, that’s a good looking motorcycle!
We managed to get a hold of a brand new fuel tank for the bike, it is completely flawless. The fact that the tank has survived without getting damaged in its original packaging is quite remarkable. It even has the protective tape from the factory to keep the paint from getting in the screw threads. It’s not really time to attach it permanently just yet but it was hard to resist testing it out.
Both the front and back wheels are in place as well. On top of the fuel tank we managed to get a hold of an original Takasago rim for the front wheel! The rim on the back wheel has been rechromed by Smethurst. The inner tubes and the tires are also NOS.
The rear flashers are also in place now. All in all it’s coming together nicely.
Work is going smoothly though at a slower pace than expected.
So far every last piece that has gone on is original NOS. We were lucky enough to get our hands on a brand new oil tank and rear fender. The rest of the painted parts that will go on the bike are also NOS.
The front brake shield is brand new but the rear one has been repolished by Smethurst (It looks better than the new one but that is neither here nor there).
Hopefully it’ll be continued smooth sailing.