Complete

The AS1 drive is complete, it’s up and running.

In looking back at the process, we kept most of the original parts and pretty much restored it just using a good cleaning and some new paint. We had to replace the breakers and capacitors on the generator and we restored the carburetors with a service kit but other than that it”s all the same!

It runs extremely well on top of that, just goes to show that it doesn’t have to cost a fortune and take a long time to restore one of these old bikes.

Comments { 1 }

Working!

We’ve got the AS1 up and running! As it turned out it was the contact breakers together with the capacitors that had gone sour. When we took a closer look at it the tips of the breakers were completely worn down. With them replaced the bike started on the first kick.

We’ll have a video and some more pictures soon!

/Joacim

Comments { 0 }

Too easy?

You know that feeling you can get sometimes, that something is going too well, that sooner or later you”re going to run into problems…

That is exactly what happened. Everything went fine, we had the bike together in one piece, the battery was charged and ready and the compression in the engine sounded good when kicking it without the battery.

With the battery on the other hand: nothing, not a sign of life in the engine. The rest of the electrical system works fine, all the lights and turn signals. With our vigorous attempts to start the engine we somehow managed to snag the magnet on the generator and we had to remove it all again. The probable cause of the problems are the capacitors on the generator, they look fine but have probably gone sour. Another less likely cause can be the ignition coils. We’ll try using a new generator or changing the capacitors and try again during the week!

Comments { 0 }

Flying

Cleaning the engine and frame were quick work, since this bike isn”t a regular restoration project we don”t strive for perfect finish on it, rather we aim to keep its cosmetic wear from being used. The cylinders and pistons have had a good scrubbing and are looking good mechanically, the connecting rods are in good condition and indeed the compression with the cylinder heads in place is great!

For some reason the bike lacked the bottom cylinder gasket, because of this some grime had gotten into the left cylinder and left some residue but that was easily taken care of with some fine grain sand paper.

The damages of the frame have all been repainted so it’s protected from the weather and it looks much better. The wires connecting the generator had been severed at some point. With a bit of solder and shrink wrap they’re looking better and are better protected.

The chain together with the front and rear drive sprockets have been replaced with new ones. The clutch has been repaired, the edges if the clutch carriage has been filed smooth to make sure the clutch plates don’t break of against the edges. What little extra give that the clutch gets because of this is so marginal that it isn”t felt but at the same time it extends the clutch lifespan a lot since it won’t break the plates as quickly.

Unfortunately we were stopped by the threads on the exhaust mounting screw, they are completely destroyed and need to be repaired before we can continue…

Comments { 0 }

A start

We got this bike a short while ago, unlike most bikes we get in this one was in really good condition. And as we disassembled it everything was fine, things were going smoothly apart from the oil plug in the engine, that bastard was stuck and took a lot of effort to get loose!

Unfortunately the bike has probably taken a fall sometime in its life, the gear lever was missing and the gear selector could be slid sideways. There is supposed to be a clip that holds it in place, that was broken. That means we have to split the engine and check to make sure the broken clip hasn’t damaged the gears and get a new selector in place.

This update works well as a guide to the order in which to disassemble one of these bikes, all the pictures are taken in chronological order.

Comments { 0 }