Archive | September, 2010

Waiting for something good

Hi,

We’ve got big news today: the replica seats have arrived. We first announced them way back in december 2009 when we received the final prototypes. Unfortunately there were some problems with the manufacturing and they were delayed. Now they”re in our possession! We’ll have more information and pictures of them up on the site in a short while! For now you can enjoy how they look attached to our AS1 and AS2. If you’re interested in a seat: send me and email at: joacim@yamaparts.com

We also have some more pictures up from the museum: the floor has set and been primed. It still has to harden and dry some more before we can get the motorcycles in there: the humidity is currently close to 80%. At least now we’ve got the heat exchanger up and running, keeping the room at a nice 16C and a dehumidifier working at max capacity to dry everything.

The second blue AS1 project has been completed! We received the engine last week and have been hard at work getting it ready. We rolled it off the bench yesterday. As chance would have it we have both the blue AS1s at the same place so we snapped some pictures of them next to each other!

/Joacim

Comments { 0 }

The last piece

The bike is complete! We received the engine last week, as soon as we had that progress was quick. Since this is a 1970 model AS1 it has the same engine side covers as the AS2. The ”Autolube” sticker on the oil tank is also in the same place as it is on the AS2J. While the earlier AS1 has the sticker on the middle of the tank, the later models had it lower down.

Since we did some additional work on the first blue AS1 as well we happen to have both of them here. Seeing them next to each other… Not something you see every day.

Comments { 0 }

Concrete

Hi,

We’ve finished the orange AS3! We have more pictures in the slideshow below.

The AS1 we got two weeks ago has been full of surprises, right of the bat we could see that it was unmodified from the factory. It had all the original screws and the correct wiring. Pretty much all of it that hasn”t been exposed to the weather looks brand new!

The best news is that the floor of the museum has been cast, 22 cubic meters of concrete! Now the floor is perfectly even. It’ll take a few weeks to harden but we”re getting ever closer to the finish.

/Joacim

Comments { 0 }

The small difference

Hi,

Far from surprising we’ve continued working on the orange AS3, at the moment we’re hard at work putting it all back together again with a selection of new and cleaned parts! You don”t have to drive these bikes, or anything for that matter, far before they’re in need of a good cleaning.

We’ve changed a lot of parts, from the screws holding the engine side cover to the front and rear fender, and cleaned even more. There are some more details if you look in the comments of the pictures in the set below! A nasty surprise came when we opened the carburetors: one of them was filled with old petrol so now we have some extra cleaning on our hands and petrol on the floor!


/Joacim

Comments { 0 }

Tap

Hi,

The work on the first blue AS1 is done, we chose to keep the tank that we had before since it better matched the paint on the rest of the parts so the colour is not quite original. All the screws, wires and electrical wires have been replaces with fresh NOS ones. The difference might seem small at first glance but the whole thing feels better than it did before! We”ll make sure to get a new gallery up as soon as possible.

At the moment we’ve got a number of bikes waiting to get photographed, the plan is to snap new pictures when the museum is done. Until then we haven’t got any good placed to take pictures. It’s not just the regular Yamahas that are waiting to get photographed but also a Honda CB750 and a couple of other surprises!

We’ve also continued work on the orange AS3. Unlike the AS1 the AS3 has been out on the roads and need more work.

We received a new AS1 from Germany. It wasn’t listed properly on ebay and would only show up on ebay.de so it was hard to find. The seat is surprisingly fresh, apart from a small tear in the cover all it needs is a cleaning. The base is completely free of rust as well!

A few weeks ago we had some pictures of regalvanized parts, a lot of them were from old used fuel taps we had collected. Since then we’ve reassembling them with surprisingly good results. It’s hard to believe that they’re used. They’re fixed with new gaskets and filters, the aluminium parts has been cleaned with acid and the plate has been regalvanized.

/Joacim

Comments { 0 }