Where do you even begin to describe the process of disassembling two whole motorcycles… You know from the start that you’re in for a few surprises with each of them but you have no idea what: Will some of the screws be next to impossible to remove? Will the oil have turned rancid and stink up the whole room for hours? Will the frame be mended using ”special” methods?
The first surprise came pretty much right away when I started work on the blue AS2J, after the petrol tank had been emptied and removed it was time to disconnect the battery. First thing to note is that the contact had oxidized and was stuck so I had to remove it by opening the fuse container. Something tells me that this bike had a bit of electrical problems when it last ran: the fuse was a nail!
The oil in the engine was about as fresh as can be expected but at least it didn’t smell all to bad. Unfortunately the wire holder on the generator was broken, I can”t understand why this is the case on most of the bikes we get. Other than that the engine and components were in good order, the clutch carriage is fresh without marks, the plug next to the drive sprocket is whole and the carburetors look good.
Next however came the biggest of the problems: the swing axle that needs to come out in order to remove the right exhaust. It had rusted completely stuck, even turning the head to rotate loose the rust didn”t make the job of removing it any easier. In the end the solution was gratuitous amounts of violence! A hammer can solve those tricky problems. I used a plastic tipped hammer to avoid damaging the metal. A little later both exhaust were removed.
The handle, light and front fork all came off easily. A nice surprise was that the light indicator on top of the headlight had a blue AS3 lens in good condition instead of the standard red AS2J lens. I don”t know the exact reason but the red lens is much more common than the blue lens.
Up next was the second AS2J, the red one!
This one had been up and running on the roads as late as last year, when I started draining the oil out of the oil tank it was as fresh as when it comes out of the bottle so I saved the clean, early flow for when I next might need some oil. Unfortunately the oil drained so slowly that the sun had time to set before the tank was empty. I let the last oil drip out during the night and continued work the next day.
Unfortunately oil turns out to be the theme of this bike: everything was covered in a nice layer of oil and dust from the road. The exhaust pipes were absolutely full of oil, it”s always good to have a box ready to let them drain into when you”ve removed them so they don’t spill oil on the floor. Other than getting plenty of oil on my hands everything went well until I came to the kick: the splines must have broken at some point because the kick had been welded to the kick axle. That means that the angle grinder will have to deal with the kick but that”s for a later day.
What’s remarkable about both these bikes are how well preserved the front and especially rear fenders are. Usually the rear fenders have severe rust in them, very few are even salvageable to get rechromed, but both of these were in great condition. Especially the one on the red AS2J was spectacular, it was covered with a thick layer of dirt underneath but there isn’t a spec of rust on it!
Enjoy the pictures!