Archive | July, 2009

Museum

Hi!

It’s about time we post some news about the upcoming Yamaparts Museum! We’ve gotten the demolition part of the museum done, the old ceiling from early 20th century is torn down to exposte the wooden beams that support the upper part of the building. Because the top had been used as hay storage for more than 100 years, a lot of dust and straws had slipped through the cracks of the floor on to the ceiling, when we tore it down we got a face full of dust! All the boards of the ceiling were covered in between 5 to 15 cm of dust! To top that of: because this was hay dust it itched madly when you got it on you. After the boards were down all that was left was to remove all the hundreds of nails that were stuck in the beams. A lot of the heads on the nails had rusted away as they were exposed to a lot of moisture when animals were kept in the building making them a pain to remove.

The floor had been sledgehammered down in order to allow for a new floor to be laid. The walls have been patched and painted with several layers of white paint.

All in all the rooms is ready to become a museum, we’ve still got a bit to go, the new ceiling has to be built, the floors fixed, all the electricity wired and all the bikes moved there but we’re on our way!

/Joacim’

Comments { 0 }

CB750

Hi everyone!

Today we have big news, not only have we started a brand new restoration project we have our Honda CB750 up and running!

The Honda arrived almost a year ago however we haven’t had it started until now! As the key turned in the ignition the bike started right away. It runs beautifully and looks stunning. It’s restored by our friends over at Beezeees to better than original condition. The model is a K2 from 1974. We’ll have a brand new gallery of it before too long, Until then we have a video of it up and running over at Yamaha Center.

The project is an AS2J, as of yet we haven”t decided how we want it so for now it”ll be known simply as ”6”. You can see the latest update here.

Below are one picture from when we had the bike up and running yesterday and from last year when it arrived.

Comments { 0 }

Stench

This bike has been standing in storage here for quite a while, now it’s time to get started with it!

When it arrived we took some of the parts of immediately, like the seat, tank and side covers, but left the rest on for a later day. The funny thing is that even though the bike looks very rusty not a single screw had rusted stuck and all of them were easy to remove. Probably someone left it outside and didn’t ride it in the rain so it rusted on the outside but little water made it inside.

One place the water had gotten in was the front fork, the oil in there was a thick black sludge mixed in with plenty of water. That it itself is bad, what made it much worse was the smell, rancid old oil. It stank up the room completely for hours and gave me a headache. Luckily I had an empty bottle around I could pour it into quickly.

Another funny thing is the fact that one of the bottom cylinder gaskets was made from  an old almanac! When you can’t get original parts you have to be creative I guess, it was a fun surprise.

Comments { 0 }

Third

Hi!
Today we got the final gallery of our bike triad up on the site! The red AS3 that Peter Spicer restored a few years back has gotten a tune-up! It’s in full running condition as well, just turn the key and kick away. You can see the full gallery here.

The previous restorations in the restoration tab has now moved to completed projects to make room for new ones, more on that tomorrow :)

/Joacim

Comments { 0 }

J

Hi,

The gallery of the second orange AS2J is up and looking extra crispy! You can find it here. Expect the gallery of the red AS3 shortly.

Now that we’re done with our earlier projects we will get started on our walkthrough, we’ll probably have running updates as usual and then organise them into a complete picture!

/Joacim

Comments { 0 }